Welcome to the UCLA Dynamical Oceanography Group website
2022 Group Photo. Left to right: Sunny Yeh, Clara Si, Garrett Finucane, Madeleine Youngs, Kaylie Cohanim, Sophia Spungin, Wyatt Cottriel, Emily Murrell, Jackson Wilke, Jennifer Kosty, Andrew Stewart, (absent) Aviv Solodoch. Previous group photos.
Our research broadly addresses the physics of the ocean circulation, with an emphasis on its dynamics at high latitudes, particularly around the Antarctic margins. We study the ocean's intrinsic behavior and its interaction with the atmosphere, sea ice and ice sheets, primarily via the application of state-of-the art simulation tools. You can read more about our work on the Research page, and find individual researchers via the Group Members page. We also maintain a list of our group's scientific Publications.
Prospective students and postdocs interested in joining the group are encouraged to Contact us directly.
- Observing Antarctic Bottom Water in the Southern Ocean
- Future changes in Antarctic coastal polynyas and bottom water formation simulated by a high-resolution coupled model
- Formation of eastern boundary undercurrents via mesoscale eddy rectification
- Controls of cross-shore planktonic ecosystem structure in Eastern Boundary Upwelling Systems
- Antarctic slope undercurrent and onshore heat transport driven by ice shelf melting
- Circum-Antarctic bottom water formation mediated by tides and topographic waves